Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Turning of the Tide

We woke up early, turned on the television and were greeted with the election results. What a great day to be an American. We finally got it right. Regardless of political affiliation it is impossible to deny that something historic has unfolded. Finn clapped and Chase teared up as images filled the screen of people around the world celebrated a barrier being broken and optimism emerging from a long slumber. President Elect Obama even took time out of his busy schedule to personally email me a note of thanks for making it happen. (You’re welcome. I’m still waiting for my t-shirt.) It’s hard to really understand the magnitude of his victory and even harder to describe the feeling I have without avoiding the tired clichés that have been thrown around. Our friend Jessica told Chase today she was now trying to figure out what she can do to help Obama and the country now that he had won. It seems to me that this is the essence of transformational leadership. For the first time in a long time, the majority of the people are engaged and interested in wanting to contribute to a cause greater than their own self-interest. “Ask not what your country can do for you…” He has inspired that in us. The locals in my office don’t really share much with me on a personal level. Few talked to me about the election before today, and to be fair I have not really offered up my views. But it was clear that most knew what outcome I was hoping for when I came into the office today. People I rarely talk to congratulated me, and their pride for Obama’s victory was on full display. So many people were downloading videos of his acceptance speech that our internet was temporarily stalled. I hoped Obama would win, but did not anticipate the overwhelming reaction. When was the last time there were feelings this strong? Much has been made about the fact that he will be the first African American president. Ok, crossing that line is huge. But I honestly believe the feeling of hope (overly used word but what else do you call it?) has more to do with the man than it does with his color. How else to explain the excitement from so many corners of the U.S. and the world? This was more than a black-white thing. I will tell you, and Chase will probably agree, that I am a much more cynical person than I was when I started down my international development career path. For all my posturing of being an idealist, I certainly question our government’s motives and what we can really accomplish more than I did when I graduated from college. This is sad, and I can’t really blame one person or one administration for this. But for the first time in a long time, I feel like things can get better and people are looking to our country to lead the way again and might actually follow. Chase asked me when Obama declared his intention to run if I thought he could win. I said I didn’t think so, the country wasn’t ready. I have never been happier to be proven wrong.

No comments: