Friday, October 10, 2008

Hashing Again

Since our first hash experience, we've only done two others. They were two entirely different experiences, both giving us the opportunity to enjoy two different flavors of Botswana. One was out in the bush (similar to the first experience), however, it had an unexpected surprise. For the first half, I carried Finn in the bjorn while Ian ran. After walking through the desert for a good 45 minutes, we turned a corner, and suddenly right in front of us, we were pleasantly surprised by water. Yep, Gaborone has a damn. I see a sign for it on the side of the road every day, but I had no idea that this damn was so big and so beautiful. Unfortunately, I did not have my camera so you will have to trust me. At the half way point, Finn got to go with his dad, while I went with the runners. I sure did get tricked. The run suddenly became a "rock climb." A photograph is the only way I can explain. We went back the next day so I could take a picture of what I climbed over. Even though I returned with plenty of cuts and bruises, the view was worth it. Keep in mind, as you run in the hash, you have no idea where you are supposed to be going. You just follow this powdered trail. The following week, the hash was in the city. It was actually hosted by an American couple who live on our street. I was thrilled to know that it was a "stroller friendly" hash. I'm so glad we went because it gave us a more realistic flavor...a local flavor of Gaborone. For example, our beer stop was the place where the locals buy their alcoholic beverages (illegally), but other basic/legal commodities as well. It was an old run down bus converted into a shop. Finn made a handful of botswana boys who were fascinated by his stroller. Hopefully this video will give you the idea:
These boys ended up following us all the way back. Fortunately the host gave each of them a soda.

1 comment:

2auroras said...

Hey Chase,

We are just getting settle in here in Russia. I'm following your adventures from afar. Looks like things are going well.

Mike