Saturday, July 26, 2008

Holy Avocado!

Today I got to meet our gardeners. Apparently they come every Friday. I was eager for them to come because I was very curious as to what exactly they would do. The two girls (forgive me, I couldn't make out there names even though I asked them to repeat themselves several times) started by sweeping the leaves out of the landscaped areas. Then Opi, a very nice gentleman, begn the long process of watering all of the plants and trees. The girls decided they wanted to play with Finn (fine by me!). I decided I could actually get some housework done.

Suddenly, Opi came knocking on the window and asked me to come outside. He was holding what I thought was a small coconut. He wanted a knife to cut it open. We do have trees that look like palm trees - but I sure haven't seen any coconuts. When I brought him the knife I got a much closer look and realized that it definitely wasn't a coconut. It looked like a HUGE avocado. Indeed it was. I ran inside to get our camera - I wanted to take a picture for our godson, Will, who LOVES avocado. Of course I couldn't find the camera - it was in Ian's bag at work. When I came out they had cut it and each person was eating a slice (like the size of canelope slices). Will would have been in his element! Anyhow, I was trying to explain that we have avocadoes in America, but they are much smaller. Before I could finish, one of the girls went to their truck and returned with another one for me. While it was super sweet, I kindly declined. We all know Ian isn't a fan of veggies, and Finn doesn't eat table food yet, there's no way I could eat it all for myself and I couldn't stand the thought of wasting their food. I did, however, ask them to bring one next week so I could take a picture!

No comments: